I'm turning 21 this week, and I'm pretty dang excited. They say that no Birthday is quite as special as your 21st, and I'm looking forward to some quality time with my family and friends. Although 21 is not that big a number, I feel like I've learned so much so far, and decided to share some. :)
1. Give out of your heart, not for attention
Matthew 6: 1-4:
““Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do—blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get. But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.”
2. The Mitochondria is actually the organelle in which respiration and energy production occurs, more than "the powerhouse of the cell".
3. Kombucha is made from fermenting sugar, Jun is made from fermenting honey
4. Our minds aren't capable of creating faces; the "random" people we see in dreams are all people we've seen before in real life.
5. We don't have to be perfect because we are loved by a perfect God
6. Communicate: anything & everything
7. Put the phone down. Be present and hug tight
8. The vines that hang down from Banyan trees are actually roots
9. Love them anyway
10. Best cheap coffee: Folgers medium roast black with 1 scoop of brown sugar
11. It's all about the company you keep
I have struggled with insecurity since middle school. I was a stereotypical "late bloomer" and was always picked on for (get this) 1. Having very dark skin and 2. Not looking like other girls my age... long story short, being ugly. I was, as people these days would call the "DUFF". Of course 13 yr old me had crushes on boys, and 13 yr old boys were not very nice to people like me. I think we can see where this is going. Even after I grew out of the puberty stage, I kept those nasty comments at the back of my mind. Fast forward to today: my friends are a constant source of encouragement. Most of them are photographers and I even step in front of their cameras now. They never fail to make me feel beautiful, and I am eternally grateful.
12. Water tastes gross through a straw
Just put your mouth to the cup, it'll be okay.
13. Redvines make the best straws
(Bite off both ends)
14. Tattoos don't hurt that bad
15. Animals can sense when you're feeling sad or anxious
16. There's a soul attached to everything we do.
Do it well
17. Hug > handshake . Every time.
18. Colossians 3:23:
"Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people."
19. There is always room for dessert.
Dessert doesn't go to the stomach, it goes to your heart
20. Our identity and worth come from the Lord
I was raised in church. And as much as I'd like to say that this is what I truly lived by my whole life, I can't. I knew this truth growing up and I believed it in my heart; but I never lived it. I let the opinions of other people tear me down and make me think I was stupid and ugly. I let the opinions of others quite literally dictate who I was and my goals for my life. Whether that be collegiate volleyball, the way I dressed, etc.
That is, until about 2 or 3 years ago. I was going through a pretty tough time in my life and was feeling pretty lost. I pressed into God and He quite literally showed me who I am to Him. I am loved, I am beautiful, I am strong, and I am worthy of love, even through my imperfections and short comings. And so are you.
21. The blue version of any kind of gummy or hard candy is the best
22. How to tap the air bubbles out of your blender when making a smoothie
I had fun wrangling all these little fun facts and lessons and revisiting them. I am so excited to learn more and love more with all the people who mean the most. I'm so so blessed beyond measure.